Monday, May 9, 2011

Take a number

This weekend's garage sales were very interesting. It was all about fundraising. I went to one church sale, one town-wide garage sale, and one middle school sale.

The church sale. It was scary! People had arrived very early because they were giving out numbers to get in! And if you didn't have a number, woe to you if you even looked at the door! I even had a few choice words with a woman who accused me of trying to get in without a number.  The funny thing was, I was speaking with another woman who gave me an earful about certain types of people who go to these church sales. She gave me her card (she is a caterer who goes to sales all the time-when I find your card, Judy, I'll link to your web site!). I told her I was going to write a random number on the back of her card to see if I get in! I chickened out of that social experiment, because she warned me that I could get beat up if I wrote a number someone else had! Seriously, I was really blown away by how aggressive people can get while waiting on line to get into these sales. In any case, I was not impressed by the sale, although I did come away with a $10 Radio Flyer Trike for my son and a kid's white wooden rocking chair for $15.

The middle school sale was crazy. They had it in one big room, with one door in and one door out. Can you say fire hazard? The sale was set up by aisle and it was very difficult to navigate. I did find a really cool Radio Flyer Retro Rocket ride on with lights and sound for $5. It looks like it was barely used, so my son made out well. 

Last but certainly not least, was the town-wide garage sale. The coordinator was handing out maps at the  local Elks Club with addresses of the private homes having sales.  Tables were even set up at the Elks Club for people to sell their wares if they didn't want to have the sale at their home. The tables at the Elks Club cost about $25 to rent for the day and that money went to charity. I think having a garage sale for a charity is a great idea and I brought up the idea to the fundraising chair at my daughter's school who will look into it.

For all you readers searching for garage sales this coming weekend, here is a new web site I just found:
http://www.yardsalesearch.com/   It's a state-wide web site for yard sales! So if you happen to be going on a road trip, you can fit some yard sales in on the way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment